Saturday, June 17, 2017

Father's Day Hike with Katie

Author: Chris

Katie and I drove back to Vermont for the weekend so I can wrap things up at school before heading back down to Boston for the duration. On our way home we typically stop in Woodstock for gas and snacks, but this stop also happens to be just minutes from one of my favorite botanical sites in Vermont, Eshqua Bog. This small site is owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy, and it happens to harbor some fascinating plant species including orchids and carnivorous pitcher plants. Katie and I enjoyed the boardwalk into the center of the bog and a short hike around its perimeter.


 

This site is one of only a handful in Vermont where the Showy Lady Slipper (Cypripedium reginae) can be found. On this day the lady slipper orchids were not quite in bloom. I captured the photo above in June of 2013.




I am impressed with Katie's observation skills. She stopped multiple times to contemplate the trickling steam, examine a caterpillar, and feel the moss. My heart skipped a beat when she pointed out the blooming pitcher plants to me!  She really didn't want to leave, but the sun was setting and it was time to make the final jaunt up to Vergennes.



3 comments:

  1. As they say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Happy Father's Day. I'm sure this year was extra special for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As they say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Happy Father's Day. I'm sure this year was extra special for you.

    ReplyDelete