Thursday, July 20, 2017

GHP PHD

When most Addison County people find out our son's name is Porter, they immediately ask "Did you name him after the hospital?"

You see, he was born at Porter Medical Center, in Middlebury.

No, we didn't name him after the hospital, thank you very much! Porter wasn't even born IN the hospital (see blog #1: "The Background").

Porter is actually my mother's maiden name. The exact path to choosing this as a first name for our child escapes me at the moment, but it is indeed a family name. Because of his name, when I think about Porter I often think about my Grandma and Grandpa Porter. My grandfather passed away earlier this month, July 7, 2017. It is fitting, then, to reflect now upon my son, his name, and my Grandpa Porter.



 Gilbert H. Porter


I only saw my grandfather a few times before our move back east from California when I was 12, and then sporadically afterward. It's interesting how alike we are! I share my grandfather's passion for do-it-yourself projects, and like him, cherish my meditative time in the workshop. My grandpa's basement workshop in it's prime was a thing of wonder! Saws, sanders, vices of all sizes and uses, and every tool one could ever need for a lifetime. Hanging from the workshop ceiling, several RC aircraft separated into wing and fuselage sections. Grandpa shared his passion for hands on projects and aeronautics with me when I was very young, scheduling in time on his visits to build and fly simple balsa wood models. I too, have grown into an avid RC pilot, but only in the last several years.  Sadly, I never had the opportunity to fly alongside Grandpa.





We share a passion for science, and specifically biology. Grandpa has a PhD and worked in the field of agriculture science and contributed a lot to contemporary knowledge and practices in bovine nutrition. 


I miss my Grandpa a lot but I am thankful he had a chance to meet the newest Porter in the family. I am beyond proud to have my son carry the Porter name. And I look forward, vehemently, to the days when I will share stories of Great Grandpa and I can pass on the joy of model airplanes!

No comments:

Post a Comment